1) 16,39,599 patients have recovered from coronavirus in India till now. 56,110 people have recovered in the last 24 hours. The recovery rate is now 70.38%
2) 7,33,449 tests were conducted for covid19 in the country in the past 24 hours.
3) Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Chief Ministers of various states. Prime Minister said that the recovery rate in India has improved considerably. He, however, asked states to ramp up testing.
4) Curfew has been imposed in some parts of Bengaluru after mob violence and vandalism erupted over a controversial social media post. 3 persons were killed in police firing and more than 100 injured. Bengaluru Police have arrested 110 people. The situation is under control at present.
5) An Indian Army soldier was killed and another injured in a combing operation in Pulwama, Jammu & Kashmir. A terrorist was also killed in exchange of fire.
6) The Vaishno Devi yatra will resume from 16th August. 5,000 pilgrims would be allowed per day. The yatra was stopped in March due to the covid19 pandemic.
7) Shri Krishna Janmasthami is being celebrated all over the country today. Usual crowds at temples are missing and devotees are following all norms. Meanwhile, the Shri Krishna Janmasthan temple conducted rituals without devotees and fanfare. Mathura district administration has imposed restrictions on public gatherings.
8) Russia has registered the first vaccine for covid19 in the world, called ‘Sputnik V’. Russian Health Ministry has said that the vaccine has proved to be effective during trials. Sputnik V also provides long term immunity from coronavirus.
9) Indian-origin US Senator from California, Ms. Kamala Harris has been nominated as the Vice Presidential nominee of the Democratic Party. Sen. Joe Biden had already been declared the Presidential candidate of Democratic Party for the US Presidential elections scheduled for 3rd November.
10) Greece has called for an EU Summit over drilling issues in the Mediterranean Sea with Turkey.